top of page

Family & Spousal Sponsorship

Did you know that under Canada’s Immigration Levels Plan for 2022, Canada will welcome close to 105,000 Family class immigrants?

Canada has updated its Immigration Levels Plan for the first time since October 2020, and is now looking to welcome the highest level of immigrants in its history.

Understanding Family & Spousal Sponsorship

Family sponsorship is one of the most frequently used immigration pathways, reuniting families by enabling adult permanent residents or Canadian citizens to sponsor a relative for Immigration to Canada. This includes:​

  • Spouse, Common Law partner, Conjugal partner (opposite or same sex) 

  • Dependent children

  • Parents

  • Grand-parents

  • Children adopted from abroad (Under specific circumstances)

  • Other relatives 


​Who is a sponsor?

​IRCC defines a sponsor as "A Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is 18 years of age or older, and who legally supports a member of the Family Class to become a permanent resident of Canada." 

Can I become a sponsor?


​You can become a sponsor if you are:

  • At least 18 years old

  • A Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident,

  • Living in Canada:

    • If you're a Canadian citizen residing outside the country, you must demonstrate that you intend to return to Canada once your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.

    • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside of Canada.

  • Able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability.

  • Able to show that you can provide basic needs for:

    • Yourself

    • Your spouse or partner

    • Your spouse or partner’s dependent child(ren) (if applicable)

    • Your dependent child(ren)


What are my responsibilities as a sponsor?


As a sponsor you must sign an undertaking, to provide financial assistance for your spouse, partner, and their dependent children's basic needs.

Basic needs include:

  • Food, clothing, shelter and other needs for everyday living,

  • Dental care, eye care and other health needs that aren’t covered by public health services.

Before signing the undertaking, you must make sure the people you sponsor will not seek financial help from the government. If they receive social assistant, you will be required to pay back what they received during the time you are legally responsible for them.

Sponsoring your spouse, common law partner, conjugal partner or dependant child


  • You can sponsor your spouse who is at least 18 years old

  • Common-law partner who is at least 18 years old

  • Conjugal partner who is at least 18 years old


Your child or the child of your spouse or common-law partner can be considered a dependent child if that child meets both the requirements below on the day IRCC Receives your complete application:

  • They’re under 22 years old, and

  • They don’t have a spouse or common-law partner

​To speak with a Canadian immigration lawyer about Family and Spousal Sponsorship book your consultation today.

The explanations and information provided herein are only general explanations, information and samples. You should not rely on this article as legal advice or as recommendations regarding what you should actually do. We recommend that you seek legal advice to help you understand and to assist you in the creation of your privacy policy.

bottom of page